<$BlogRSDUrl$>

23 March 2004

What happens when you don't hear "knock, knock" but there is someone there? 

There was much excitement around here last night. I got back from work at about 6:00 pm, just in time to watch the news and maybe take a short nap. I got up off the couch at about 7:15 pm, shut off the T.V. and went upstairs. At about 8:00 pm as I was upstairs putzing around, all of the sudden heard Doggie flipping out! I looked down the steps (the front door opens up to the stairs) and I could see that the front door screen door was closing. “That’s funny” I thought to myself “The screen door was locked.” (I can be extremely OCD about locking doors…I just have this fear after what happened with my apartment that someone could get in!) As the front door has glass at the top of it I could see one person was moving quickly away from the area where one of the front windows is and someone else backing away from the front door. I ran down the steps, flipped on the outside lights, and looked through the peep hole and ask “Can I help you” and the whole time Doggie was acting like she was going to attack and kill! (This is so very unlike her!!) It seems that they were having some deal for pizza and movies and were going door to door selling these tickets. They kept on asking me to open up the door so that they could talk to me about their deal better. I went to one of the front windows and opened it a bit. They proceeded to try and get me to open up the door so that we could talk this deal over. They said that our other neighbors had been more than willing to partake in this deal! When I refused, the one guy accused me of not opening up the door because his friend was black. Now excuse me here – if two large men don’t even bother knocking on a darken door, well after “door to door” hours, and when they are caught, keeps on telling the female (person) in side, that they just want her to open up the front door so that they can sell her some things…I really don’t think that it would matter who they were…I really don’t know anyone that would open up that door! Not to mention that there have been some cases of this happening in the D.C. area and when the door is opened - almost always by a female, and it seems always alone – she ends up raped and beaten and the house is robbed! So for me – it did not matter what colour they were or anything like that…I was not going to open up the door!!! I told them that if I opened up the door that Doggie would kill them, and that I was not willing to pay the increased homeowners insurance that would then ensue. I called the pizza place that they had said that they were from. They had no clue as to what was going on. The said that they had not sent anyone out to the area at all for any type of deal. I then called 911. Needless to say, the police thought that I over reacted and that they probably were just nice guys (perhaps a bit mislead about how to approach people) trying to make a buck. After totally flipping out on them, they agreed to send a police officer over to area to take a look around, but that it was probably just a case of my over reacting…you have to love the police sometimes….Oh and the front screen door – the lock WAS broken…but you know, it is probably just a case of my being an over reacting female like the nice police officer said…



Oh, and tonight I was out talking with one of the neighbors and I told her about what happened last night…She lives in the house that they pointed out to me last night saying that they had bought lots and lots of these “special coupons”…And guess what?! No one knocked on her door last night and there has not been anyone around to sell her these “very special coupons”.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Guestmap from Bravenet Free Guestmap from Bravenet
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com