<$BlogRSDUrl$>

23 March 2004

Yummie!!! 

I had to make it this weekend, and people always ask how I make it...so here it is out on the wed where anyone can find it if they need it!
Enjoy!


Fine a good cut of corn beef brisket, there should be some fat on it, but it should not be totally covered. It should also be pretty “juicy” in its sealed pouch.

Open the pouch(s) and dump all of the contents in to a LARGE pot. Be careful as some companies put plastic pouches of seasonings in with their beef. If you buy a brisket with out this seasoning pouch, you can use the following: mustard seed, celery seed, peppercorns (whole), and a bay leaf. (Even if I have the seasoning pouch I still add extra peppercorns and bay leaves).
For EACH brisket add one small whole pealed onion and a clove of garlic (however you wish to prep it). I prefer to leave the onion whole as I can scoop it out later on, although it has been known to dissolve during the cooking process.
For each brisket add one can of beer (or as my Mother prefers a pony bottle of rolling rock). I have found that cheep beers (MGD, Miller Light, etc) work very well, while darker beers (lagers the such) tend to be over powering. Fill up the rest of the pot with cool H2O (filtered for the people with leaded lines!). The liquid level should cover the briskets. Leave enough room (and have a big enough pot) for the veggies that will be added later, so that the liquid will not end up all over your range top – not a whole lot of fun to clean up – trust me on this one. You can start the cooking on a high flame, but once the liquid starts to boil, turn it down and allow it to simmer until it is done.

According to Better Homes and Garden’s you need to cook this for 50 minutes per lb. Considering that this past weekend I cooked 15 lbs of beef, I would have started this cooking process at a VERY ungodly hour…

My usually rule of thumb is about a hour to an hour and half per brisket. So this weekend, with my 4 briskets, I started cooking it at about 1:00 pm and it was finished by 6:30 pm.

About an hour before the beef is done cooking, add your veggies! Usually I add cabbage cut up into quarters, add a bunch a cut up carrots, and quartered potatoes. You can also add some rutabagas and turnips too. Yummy! The potatoes are a person issue. I usually use red potatoes as I can just scrub them and cut them up with out worrying about peeling them. I think that they tend to hold together a bit better than white skinned (thus peeled) potatoes, but it is up to you.

Remove your briskets from their pot and turn off the heat. Your veggies are fine staying in their nice warm broth – they will be soaking up extra flavor, just keep the lid on the pot to keep the heat on! Put your briskets in a Pyrex dish that is large enough for them to lay down in. They should be placed fat side down.

Now for the glaze there are two methods – My Mother’s and mine, you can pick which on you would rather do.

My Mother’s Method:
Take Dijon mustard and coat the tops of the briskets. Then take brown sugar (either dark or light) and sprinkle it on top of the brisket. Pop it into the oven (apx. 350F) until the sugar melts (about 5-10 minutes).

My Method (as I really like the glaze!!!)
In a bowl mix slightly hardened brown sugar (one again, it does not matter - either light or dark) with Dijon mustard in a one to one ratio. Coat the tops of the briskets totally with the glaze. Put enough of the pot juice in the Pyrex dish to have a shallow coating on the bottom to keep the beef from drying out. Cover the whole thing with Al Foil and bake (350F again) for about 15 minutes or until the sugar has melted and the beef looks well glazed.

As I have gotten a few questions about the horseradish sauce, here is how I make it.
A good brand of horseradish (Double H Brand or Penn Maid are good!)
Hellmann's Mayonnaise (Regular, high fat – total favor is the only type I use)
Freshly ground pepper

Mix together - about half as much horseradish as Mayo, add pepper to taste and put it back in the fridge. I usually make this right after I put the beef on the stove. The time in the fridge allows the flavors to mix.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Guestmap from Bravenet Free Guestmap from Bravenet
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com